Monday, October 7, 2013

How to be a better Christian Dad, Find a Men's Group

My faith went to a whole different level when I joined my first Men's Group.  At first I was skeptical of what it was.  I was put at ease when, as I showed up for the first meeting, I was handed a frothy beverage straight out of the keg.  Now, while some people may see an issue with that, we will leave that topic for a another time.  I think the one who started this group went about it the right way.  There was roughly 6 of us and each knew at least 2 of the other men in the group.  We were between 25 and 50 years of age.  It really was a good mix, we all had different backgrounds and stories.

The first night we met it was about getting to a comfort level.  The purpose was for us to open up about our backgrounds so that everyone would know where we were coming from and what we expected to get out of the Men's Group. The backgrounds ranged from a Youth Pastor, a new Christian, a gentleman struggling to connect with his wife, a gentleman who had reconnected with his wife, a newly married man.  Our first study was John Eldridge's Wild at Heart DVD series.  John's group has a way of stirring something inside of you that wants to come alive.  He talks adventure and the freedom it brings to really know how God made us.

That group of men over time became brothers to me.  One's that I could open up to and talk about my struggles and my faults.  There was no judgement, no one pointing fingers, no one telling me how I was going about it the wrong way.  What I did have was people help me walk through what I was feeling and what was the root of the problem.  As my friend always said, the issue is never the issue.  There is normally something deeper that is causing the struggle.

The biggest lie we all believe is that we can handle this alone.  I can't tell you how many times I said "I can handle this myself".  Only to fall flat on my face time and time again.  Our ego tends to keep us away from actually becoming close to other guys.  Time for us to overcome our pride and realize that Jesus doesn't want us in this battle alone.  We were meant to have warriors by our side.

Today, my band of brothers are over 3 hours away.  I moved away to be closer to extended family and as I have mentioned before, I do love my current church.  Before I moved, I was motivated.  I bought the Wild at Heart DVD series and I was ready to come back here and have another band of brothers.  That was a year ago, and I haven't gotten any closer today than I was then.  I have agreed with the lies that I am too busy, other guys wouldn't be interested, and you aren't capable of leading other men.  Well its about time I stand up and take charge. Those lies don't come from God, they come from Satan.

The reason I stress the importance of a Men's Group is because I have firsthand seen what it can do to shape a man.  I also know how easily it is to not be a part of one and turn a blind eye to any struggles I am currently going through.  I just ask that you give it a shot.  There are some great groups out there if you look.  Between Ransomed Heart Ministries (http://www.ransomedheart.com/) or The Samson Society (http://samsonsociety.ning.com/), hopefully there is one in your area.  If not, grab Wild at Heart and a couple buddies and see what happens. Worst thing, nothing stirs in you to be better, but the Best thing is your life could be changed forever, and for the benefit of your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment